Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User ID, Password Required for AS400 Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaWright

Programmer
Apr 29, 2003
Version 8.5
Client Access ODBC Driver
Connection - iSeries
System DSN

I have created several reports that do not require me to login with my user id and password as long as I already have a connection established on my computer with the AS400; however, when the users try to open these reports they are prompted for the user id and password with my user id as the default and using a different system name than the one set up through the ODBC although it's the same system. They can open the report using their user ID and password with the different system name.

I see in Article ID c2005115 that it was once considered a problem to not be prompted for the user id and password so they "fixed" it. Now I'm trying to find a way to avoid it.

I can see when looking at the Set Location window within the report that my User Id is set - I assume through the Operations Navigator. Is there a way to remove the stored User ID?

How can I fix it so that if a user is already signed on to the AS400 he/she does not have to sign on to access the report?

The Connection Options under the configuration for the System DSN are set to "Use default user id, prompt as needed". I've tried filling it with the user's ID on their machine and with a blank user id. Operations Navigator Connection Properties does not allow a blank user ID.

Your Crystal version?

Your user's Crystal version (I'm assuming they are using Crystal, but it's not clear from your description)?

When you refer to the name of the "different system name than the one set up through the ODBC" -- what does that mean in your specific environment? Is it a name of a server, the name of a database, or the name of the ODBC DSN?

- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:
view, e-mail, export, burst, distribute, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Both versions are 8.5 and yes we're both using Crystal.

When I configure the System Data Source through the ODBC Data Source Administrator, I choose the AS/400 System which is an IP address. When trying to open the Crystal Report from the user's machine, the signon box that pops up has another name for the AS400 defaulted and non changeable in it. These both point to the same place. My signon name is already in the box. So to answer your last question it would be the name of the AS400.

Initially the user's ODBC Connection was set up using this different name, but I deleted that connection and created a new one using the IP address I use, thinking that might be the problem. But in talking with our operations people it's all the same and wouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Check the user doesn't have both a USER DSN as well as a SYSTEM DSN. If that was not the issue, then I don't understand how the connection can show a property that doesn't exist on the user's machine (nor in the report itself unless the user re-saved the report rather than just run it. Try to copy YOUR .rpt file again to the user machine...

If you can't solve this strange behavior, and if your users don't need the ability to modify.design reports, consider a 3rd-party viewer (see list at: My DataLink Viewer provides "integrated authentication" functionality, so that the same user (Windows user ID) on the same machine can log on once, click "Remember Me" and never need to login again.

- Ido

Visual CUT & DataLink Viewer:

I checked and there was a USER DSN with the same name. I deleted it. Now the system name is the IP Address I expect to see, but it's defaulting to my name in the Signon to iSeries box.

I ran the CWBLOGON to keep the UserID/Password in cache. Now when I open CR in the native environment it is fine (which was the first step in my process), however we are using an ActiveX Viewer for the users to access the report and the signon box still pops up there as I said. When I cancel the process, a box pops up that says "Server has not yet been opened."

So I'm not quite sure where to go from here. At least I got to the point where the report can be opened from the users machine without the box, even though it's not in the environment I want to open it.

One other thing to note. The reports did not open in the native CR environment without the signon until I reset the location and saved the report.

Good; as suspected, the issue was due to a user dsn with the same name...

I though you said the user was using Crystal, but now you say ActiveX viewer. You should be able to resolve your questions with the provider of that ActiveX application (not clear which application).

- Ido

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back