Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USER ID on a Great Plains general journal entry

Status
Not open for further replies.

texbetty

Vendor
Apr 24, 2013
US
I would like to view or see the USER ID on a general journal entry.... in Great Plains. I can pull up the entry via the audit trail code or the journal entry #.... but it does not show or print out the USER ID for that particular journal entry. Is there another way to see this info? thanks, b.p.

Victoria (love your blog btw),
Not to derail, but what determines who is "Last User"? Our parent company wants us to show the user who created, and user who approves(posted) a particular journal entry in a report. I would think, as long as the manager is posting via the batch, and not getting into and/or changing the entry itself, these two fields would be creator/poster. However when we run a smartlist, we often get the same user ID in both fields.

Thanks for your kind words! Unfortunately, I do not know the logic used to determine these. I also suspect it may differ by GP version, but have no concrete proof of that. There are 2 ways I can think of to answer this more definitively:
1. Open a support incident with GP Support. They should (hopefully) be able to look at the code and give you the exact answer of how these are populated.
2. Test this yourself with all possible variations of what could happen.

One other thought - since GP does not track a 'created user' and that is really what you want, another option may be to make sure that when your users create journal entries, they are always in a batch and the batch ID always has the user initials or some other identifier in place. (Or maybe put that identifier in the reference field instead - just do not use the batch comment, that's not saved.) This way you can report on the data you know is there and populated as you want it to be. A slightly more complicated option (but possibly preferable, as it does not require users to do anything) would be to create a SQL trigger and a custom table to track this data.

Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP 2005 - 2013
Use Crystal Reports and SSRS with GP:
blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back