Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Groups Access Rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapicio

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
In win2k pro, we want to allow several of our users to have restricted user rights (not be able to install anything for example), but also be able to make certain changes, like specifying IP addresses for when they travel to different places. How do I make a user group that has these types of rights?

I would have a hunt in Group Policies. You can explicity define that you want users to have allow permissions on IP network settings but still keep them as standard users.

Steve Hewitt

Okay, let's start with problem #1. Our people have laptops because they travel. We want to stay consistent with the rest of the organization and allow them at most 'Power User' rights. But when they are in various locations, they need to manually set their network settings to wherever they're at. I looked in the Group Policy editor for the local computer security options and user rights assignment, but I can't figure out how to allow this type of permission. Any hints as to what policies to look at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back