Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Downloading In a win2k domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmillett

MIS
Nov 1, 2002
US
Just wondering i have a Win2k domain and want the users restricted to download AOL aka AOHELL IM's . Is there something in the AD to disable them from downloading or even run this program ? I am behind a firewall but they have portsniffing features on IM's .

That I know you have two options...
1)In Active Directory-->Group Policy, under User Configuration\windows Settings\Internet Explorer Maintenance\Security\Security Zones and Content Ratings, check Import the current security zone settingsand Modify Settings
Then go to Internet\Custom Level\Downloads\ and set File download to Disable .
2)Import into the registry a value to do teh same but using the registry instead of GUI.
the key you need to import using regedit is the following.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]
"1803"=dword:00000003
the value 3 disables downloads..
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

The most effective way would be to remove those users rights to the AOL IM program. But, you would have to login to each pc with it and do this. The other way would be to make a domain GPO that states do not run whatever AOL IM exe is named. You can set this in Gpedit under User Settings/system you should see a option "Don't run specified windows application". If however AOL IM has a autorun at startup function like Msn Msngr does you will have to disable this in the registry, otherwise it will work from the taskbar fine.

Although I belave option 1 above would work well also to stop all downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back