Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User defined data fields functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGP

Programmer
Sep 11, 2001
GB
Hi,
I wish to add the ability to allow users of my application to create their own user defined data fields. My application has been built using vb6 and a .mdb backend database. I think this is possible, using dynamic control creation and the SQL 'Alter' statement, however I would very much appreciate any help on how best to achieve this and any issues I should be aware of.
Many thanks.
agp.

My general impression is that this is more effort than the potential benefits. Unless you are going to essientially re-create the VB Design interface, it would seem that there will always be limitations to the utlity of the additions. After all, simply adding the fields is almot trivial in comparision to the question of even adding the field to an (existing) index. Actually adding references to a new field to, for instance, modify an existing query to utilize it in a join or where clause appears, to me, to be a moderate task. Carrying this through to "ALL" the necessary forms and reports - through appropiate controls would be a 'moderate task' times the number of instances of POSSIBLE use, which compute to be a (too large) a number.

I'm NOT saying it can't be done, just that it is not the stuff of even large scale commercial programs, much less the norm.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

Searching for employment in all the wrong places

Michael,
thank you for responding to my question. You told me exactly what I wanted to know i.e. there is no easy way to do this. As a result I will create a set number of predefined fields, which I will let the end user enable as and when required. Thanks once again.
agp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back