Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazzert

Technical User
Nov 13, 2002
GB
I work in an educational establishment in the UK and we're currently undergoing a numbers reduction.

For the staff who leave/have left I've got a specific issue and I'm not sure of the position.

All users have data stored on a file server and email accounts.

Now I've been asked to allow access to the users data/email for someone else. My understanding this wasn't allowed without permission from the user. As far as I know there isn't anything in the T and C for employees where they specifically grant access if they leave.

Just wondering if anyone has info on the correct response for these requests?

Just about any place I have ever worked had an usage policy that explicitly stated all (business) email is considered company property and that the user should have no expectation of privacy and that all communications may be monitored at any time. If there is such as policy in place, that would appear to cover this type of situation.

If there is any doubt, I would state your doubts to your supervisor or appropriate authoritative individual in writing and ask for clarification in writing. Ultimately, it would likely be stupid, with obvious consequences, to deny an order from a supervisor, however asking for clarification and support that you are performing a legitimate and legal action shouldn't be out of line.

Thanks for your reply.

Much as I thought really.

Of course the place hasn't ever had an AUP relating to email and thats where the difficutly arose.

I'll actually refered to one of the senior leadership team and he's OK'd access this afternoon. So if there is any repercusions I've got a fall back position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back