Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user & computer accounts in 2003 Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

griosuno

Technical User
Aug 18, 2005
US
I need to design a Win 2003 Active Directory for a medium size company with several departments.

I know it is recommended to create a OU per department. Should I also create all user & computer accounts for that department inside its corresponding OU?

If so, should I create an additional OU for all users and another OU for all computers, both under the department's OU?

Thanks.

That would be a good design and departmental setting via GPO will be easier to customise.. if this is a new domain.. do they have an existing domain?.. if so a migration would be best for the user and computer accounts..

It is a totally new domain built from scratch.

Now, suppose I create OU=staff and OU=computers under each department's OU (is this sound design? How can I control where in the AD the computers accounts will be created when they join the domain? Is it manually move them the only alternative? What can I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back