Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Changes Without notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatz

Programmer
Aug 8, 2001
US
A user of mine with a brand new Windows 2000 computer has had an interesting problem. She called to say that the desktop was messed up and it was asking for the Wordperfect 2000 installation CD. I theorized that somehow she was logged in as administrator rather than as herself. Sure enough, I went there (hard to diagnose this over the phone, especially when the customer is hysterical about losing the entire computer) and found that exactly that had happened.

The desktop was messed up because programs and shortcuts installed on her desktop were not there. It was asking for the WP CD probably because something in the installation had to happen for each user. And, sure enough, it was showing she was loged in as Administrator. I reset the login defaults and logged her back in and everything was fine.... Except that it happened again this morning.

The question is why and how? (I guess that's two questions.) She has no clue how to change the default login, and, as far as I know, is just working when all of a sudden it changes. The system has a few users - Administrator, the regular user, and a couple of others for network access. It is set to not require a logon, with herself as the default. It worked for a week before this happened, but now it's happened twice in 12 hours.

I'm thinking about enabling logon again, so that if it happens she can shut down/logoff and logon again, typing in her name to be sure it is right, but that doesn't answer why it happens to start with.

Any ideas?

First of all, what type of user is she? If she is not a "Power User" or part of the "admin" group, she may or may not be able to install software. In this case, it looks like she was able to install the software, but it didn't stay due to a policy that doesn't allow the user's changes to stay after they log out. What you need to do is either change that policy or reinstall the sofware as the admin user putting shortcuts in the "all users" side of things or give the user more rights. She didn't lose her whole computer, but rather just needs to have the shortcuts recreated probably. Let us know what the situation is after you checked what I wrote. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

She is set as an administrator. Since she is really the only user of the PC, that seemed the simplest way to get the software installed without constantly changing profiles. What's so odd is that it had been working fine for a week - all the software and the desktop - and then she all of a sudden (I wasn't there to see if she did something) ended up logged in as Administrator. The question isn't how to get the software installed - it already is installed - the question is how to keep herself logged in as herself.

Jasonwichman-
Sorry, a beginner here-
How do you "put(ting) shortcuts in the "all users" side of things" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back