Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User can't create file using Pervasive

Status
Not open for further replies.

geagle

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2003
US
3rd party vendor using Pervasive for their database. One of their menu routines is to create a .dat file in a subdirectory on Novell 6.0 fileserver. A regular user cannot do this, but I can. Once the file is created, the user can then run the process, which in effect, recreates (overwrites) the file. Is there a rights issue here?
The error message is OpCode:0, Status:94 I am logging into Novell with Administrative rights, but as far as I know we have never done anything with Pervasive, except install it when we put in our new Novell 6.0 server over a year ago.

I don't believe we had this problem, until I put new WinXP PC's in for the users a few months ago. I, however, have been running XP for a long time.

I checked their Novell rights to the subdirectory in question, but they already had full rights (exc for Supervisor and Access Control).

We have been using this process in the software for a long time and I don't know what would have changed to suddenly deny users the right to create a .dat file.

Also, they can unzip a .dat file in the subdirectory and then run the process (which will create or overwrite) the .dat file.

It seems if the file is already in the subdirectory, the user can run the process ok, but not create the file initially using Pervasive.

That's strange that the application is trying to open the file when it's supposed to be creating it. The OpCode 0 is an Open call. The status 94 can, in some cases be returned when the file doesn't exist.
You might check with the app vendor to see if they've seen this behavior..
One way to test this would be to use the Pervasive Maintenence Utility to create a new file. You could also use BUTIL and use a command like:
BUTIL -CLONE <old filename> <new filename>
If the BUTIL -CLONE/Maintenence Utility can create the file as a regular user then the app is to blame for the behavior.

info@mirtheil.com
Custom VB and Btrieve development.
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back