Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User cannot login...

Status
Not open for further replies.

glio

Technical User
Sep 25, 2002
MO
Environment: NW5.1 SP7, Win'98 with 3.4 Client

Win'98 can obtain its IP from DHCP server on NW5.1, but sometimes the Novell login prompt would not appear on the client's screen. Any clues?

Jimmy

The novell login prompt does not appear when the client computer can't find the tree. Are you sure the nic and cables are ok?

That's one of the oldest problems in the book.

You need to setup SLP so the workstations can find resources.

Other workarounds..

- Put IP address of server in the "Preferred Server" box in the client properties. reboot.

- When you installed Client 3.4, it probably took IPX out. IF you still have IPX on the server, just put IPX back on the workstation unless you are making an effort to go Pure IP.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks for the reply but I think I didn't give enough information... let me elaborate a bit more...

I've installed sp7 on the nw5.1 server during Easter holiday. Everything was fine until the recent sasser outbreak... which jammed the traffic for almost a day. After fixing the infected workstations, the network traffic started to deteriorate. At first, the login prompts of all Win'98 workstations in one of our labs did not show up... and now most of the XP workstations cannot get logon.

I notice that all the workstations that can get logon are connected directly to the switch that connects the servers. All other workstations (that cannot logon) are connected to a series of switches before reaching the server.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back