Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
Hi

I have just installed a 2nd windows 2000 PDC DC in another site (differant subnet). The first windows 2000 server was installed a while ago with no problems. However now Win 2k clients sometimes authenticates with the wrong server on the differant subnet. All the NT4 pc work fine. This causes problems as we use roming profiles.

I have only one site set up in Active directory is this the problem?

If it is, how do i set up a second site for the new office, still enabling all the pc from both site to see each other (in network neighborhood). annd also the servers to sync AD

P.s I Only want one Domain

cheers for any help

Hi there

Firstly, you need to set up a new site in AD sites and services corresponding with the IP range of the new subnet.

You then need to set up and ensure that replication between the 2 servers is running correctly. You will also have to ensure that (at the very least) the user profiles for the users in the new site are available on the new DC.

Be aware that both servers, unless you are connecting across a fast link, will need to be GC servers otherwise clients will have problems logging on.

If the link between the sites is slow ( less than 10MB/s) keep an eye on replication traffic, otherwise you could swamp the link.

Hope this helps

Ade [pipe] Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

Thank for a quick reply

If i set up a new site with corresponding ip addresses, do i need to move the computers in this site or will it work everthing out itself? also are ther any problems with 2 site of differant subnets talking to each other?

Hello again

If you have a look through the sites and services console, you will see that only the servers are related to the sites, as sites are created to ensure that AD replication is at its optimum.

The computers themselves will only be interested in their positions in AD Users and Computers, i.e. are they in an OU or the default container etc...

As for the different subnets talking to each other, as long as your routers are set-up correctly and the replication is working, then the computers themselves will look to their relative DC for info, as long as you have the network services locally installed also, i.e. DNS, DHCP, shared folders and so on.

If you want some easy reading on the AD and its foilbles, goto and look for the ebook "AD hints and Tips" or go to the Microsoft website
Ade [pipe]

Adrian Jordan
MCSE,CCEA,CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back