Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Area Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzanewpy

Instructor
Oct 21, 2002
GB
I have noted that some how the individual user document area security rights have been altered. This now means that all the users of one group (STUDENTS) now have full control over everyone's documents. Obviously undesirable and potentially dangerous.

This appears to be due to inheritance and so I considered the following:

Changing the root security to Administrators (Full) and CREATOR OWNER (READ and EXECUTE), setting the ownership of the root folder to STUDENTS and therefore in effect allowing students to read, execute and navigate through this root folder if necessary. Then I thought of giving CREATOR OWNER full control over the individual student document folders and making the owner the individual student; thus making them the only one except for the administrator to have full access or any access at all. The issue is that this will not replicate for any new document folders and so how is the security normally set so that only the user and the administrator have access to personal file space?

U could use group policies to get better security level and to create some rules for accessing files. So rightclick the target you wanted and make group policy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back