Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsotb

IS-IT--Management
May 8, 2003
US
I have 2 admin accounts and 3 restricted accounts on a Windows XP pro system.

When I attached a router to the system and set the IP address under a administrator account, none of the restricted users were able to access the internet.
Once I changed the restricted users to Administrators, all was working fine.

When I look under the Restricted user account the IP setting are there , but will not let internet access go thru.

Any suggestions on why this happens?

Thanks

TCP/IP settings are set on a Computer and Interface basis, not a user basis. So the IPs, Gateways, Subnet Masks, service entries and protocols are not affected by your user type or user name.

Most native XP internet tools: IE, telnet, FTP, etc. should not have an issue with a Restricted User type account either.

What could be important:

. for Dial-up, the connectoid was not checked when defined as 'Applying to all users of this computer.' In this instance, you need to create a dial-up connectoid for each user;

. Similarly for PPoE or VPN connections: you may not have indicated that the connectoid was for machine use and not per user controlled.

If you describe your internet connection, the software you are trying to use on the Web, and any error messages it would help to resolve your issue.

Best,
Bill Castner

In the TCP/IP setting on the Administrator account are set as follows

IP - 192.168.0.10
Sub - 255.255.255.0
GateWay- 192.169.0.1

DNS Settings are set to the local Cable Company's DNS numbers.

When logged onto the user that has admin rights , and go to IE - all works fine.

When logged onto a user that has limited rights, and go to IE - IE never comes up. I tried to go to a command line and ping the router 192.168.0.1 and it failed.
Changed the user to Admin rights - and all works great.

Log on as the troublesome user.

Start, Run, services.msc

Scroll down and tell me the running status of:

DHCP client services
Workstation Services
Remote Procedure -- all three
Netbios Helper Service
Workstation Service

Compare these service running status and startup desposition (Automatic, Manual, Disabled) to the Administrator logon.

I am not making it up that the TCP/IP properties of any connnection, and the Device Manager-type configuration settings are not user specific, but machine wide.

Second thought, logon as the Administrator and download the tools discussed in faq608-4650.

Logon as the problem restricted user and run the tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back