Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user accounts on standalone pc - file locations in word

Status
Not open for further replies.

croakyfrog

Technical User
Dec 4, 2001
GB
hi

a friend of mine has multiple user accouts set up on xp. i've had a look and cannot for the life of me work out how i can get the individual accounts to save to the individual's area on c:\. i changed the pathname in word to save to one location (from c:\user2 to c:\user1 )but when i logged on under a different name, the other user also had the changed pathname (c:\user1).

there appears to be no option in control panel/user accounts where you can state the location of files saved for each user - is this possible?

the friend has limited pc knowledge, so it would be really handy if this could be done.

i really need this in word, and possibly for downloads in aol.

i hope that this is clear - what i want is to be able to save files to a unique location for each user account.

thanks
:eek:)

Was Word installed before the additional user accounts were added? Normally the default document location would be C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents. Are you trying to change the file location to something outside of the Documents and Settings folder?

One of the problems with XP is that it does things behind the scenes to "make things easier" but often ends up confusing things.

The real location for any users "My Documents" folder will be, by default, c:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents (where UserName is that users username).

But, depending on registry settings, XP will make it appear that the logged in users folder is in &quot;C:\My Documents&quot; <- this is not true but Windows makes it look like it is. You also may see folders like &quot;C:\User1's Documents&quot; and &quot;C:\User2's Documents&quot; ... again, these are not the real locations ... they are really located in each of the user's profiles in the path I've given above.

It all depends on what the settings are but if you do the following you should be able to see what the hard drive really looks like (note that these are advanced options and will expose you to sensitive files - i.e. be careful ... whe you can see everything you can also wreck everything):

- Go into Windows Explore (not Internet Explorer)
- Choose Tools -> Folder Options
- Select the View tab
- Select &quot;Show Hidden Files and Folders&quot;
- Unselect &quot;Hide extensions for known file types&quot;
- Unselect &quot;Hide protected system operating files&quot;
- turn off &quot;Use Simple File Sharing&quot;

Save the changes and you will have a better view of what is going on ... most users should not do this ... it is only for people who need to fix a problem or hate having M$ protect them from themselves.

sorry yes i was trying to get it to save to C:\Documents and Settings\username1\My Documents for one and C:\Documents and Settings\username2\My Documents for the other user but it sticks on C:\Documents and Settings\username1\My Documents for both users when changed

sorry yes i was trying to get it to save to C:\Documents and Settings\username1\My Documents for one and C:\Documents and Settings\username2\My Documents for the other user but it sticks on C:\Documents and Settings\username(whichever ive changed it to)\My Documents for both users no matter who is logged on, i want it to pick up the username for the logged on user at the time

thanks

If it is not saving to the different users folders automatically, then something is wrong with the accounts or when they are logging on they are all using the same account.
When they start do they click the user they want? Or log in, it depends which way you have it set up. The default is the icons with the names.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

they just click on the icons. i tried setting up a new user but there seemed to be limited options available, and no option anywhere i could see for choosing which folder to save to

thanks

Set up passwords, make their profiles more secure by setting up group policies for each user. Go to and figure out the registry link to make it happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back