Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USER ACCOUNTS AND PASSWORDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatz09

MIS
May 19, 2003
GB
I set up a user accounts and passwords on my database. i closed it and reopened my database to see if they worked and now none of the user passwords work. Now i cant get into my database. I was wondering if there is any way around it. Thanks for any help given.

Fatz09

No, I am using the "mdb" file.

Fatz09

The MDW is the security file within access..you need to join your database to that file in order to use access security. unless you create a table that stores user names and passwords then theres alot of coding involved with that.

if you would like steps on how to use the MDW file I can tell you. What version of Access and Windows are you running?

I am using 97, but for some reason I cant even get into access without this password.

Fatz09

Hey fatz09,
did you use the access scurity wizard to set this up?

just for kicks and grins, try using one of the user names you put in there and leave the password box blank and let us know if that works.

JASON

go into the WinNT\System32 directory(Win2000) in there you will see two files. System.MDW and WRKGADM..now I am assuming since you even want security that this database is on your network? if so, make copy of System.MDW rename it to whatever you wish. place it on a drive that ALL database users have access to, then double click the WRKGADM file and select join. browse and join to file you create from copying system.MDW. then you can setup your users and groups. if you go this route take a look at the default group "Users" they have alot of access, you may want to change things around there.

Also,

I need to sign in as and Admin user to remove these groups. The admin username is not working. Do you know a default password for the admin user because i never set one.

Ryan

Hello fatz09,

Normally ( maybe Always ), Access security with it's Login Screen is only put into effect by setting a password for the user "Admin" - the ** password is case sensitive ** . If you still can't get in after trying both cases of the password - do a search for "*.MDW" and use the WRKGADM.EXE file to join and try. The FAQ at pretty well describes the steps needed to secure Access.

Hope this may help...

gyma_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back