Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User account trouble running Quicktime 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubruoy

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
I am constantly perplexed with all the problems related to permissions and here is a new one to me.

I am running Netscape with the Quicktime plugin. If my user has administrative privileges, all is well. If the user is a power user, when you attempt to run media which requires Quicktime, Netscape freezes. It even does this in Explorer.

I uninstalled Netscape, reinstalled. No difference. Uninstalled Quicktime, reinstalled. No difference.

Got tired of screwing with it, reformatted and reinstalled Win2k, restored backed up data and programs. No difference.

If I change my user to an administrator, it works perfectly.

So, I am convinced that it is a permissions problem, but where? I gave my user full permissions to the Netscape folder and Quicktime folder but nada.

The last time I had permissions problems and started changing things, I had my computer completely tanked so I am reluctant to experiment.

It seems to me that permissions are the least covered area with Win2k and XP and it is very hard to find any help. Some tech support people have told me to run as an administrator which makes it easy for them and me but not too secure.

I've had similar problems with permissions and have also wondered about the sincere vulnerabilities of setting users with administrative power in regards to security. I would think you are only as good as your protection. Perhaps try setting a user rights policy so then you can be a user with specific priveleges and actions, while maintaining your security. Just a thought. GL

"Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."

My user is a power user so should be able to run programs. I would think that a plugin would not require a certain level of permission to operate correctly.

When in doubt, I check it out.
Usually a program like QuickTime wants to modify a Run key in the registry, but other registry entries may be involved.

Use Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and uninstall. Reboot.

Download one of several installation monitoring utilities (my current favorite: InstallSpy:
Then make the necessary registry permissions.

bcastner: Thanks for the tip. I'll download the prog and check it out. So if it is trying to modify a Run key, why couldn't it do it as I was logged in as an administrator when I installed it? Also, is there a method for changing permissions if it has more than a couple registry entries?

Answer 1: As a local Administrator, it should not have an issue. As a Domain Admin, there could be issues. If you had the problem as a Local administrator, I would reinstall the OS. Something serious is wrong with the registry.

Answer 2: Yes you can do a group change of permissions to the registry. I am not sure Quicktime is worth it, but you should at least know how:

On NTFS filestores:
On a registry object (be very carefull):
Direct download of regini.exe:

bcastner: I think there may be something screwed up with something other than the os because I have been having troubles with permissions and recently reformatted and reinstalled everything. This is the only problem I have encountered.

I really don't care about Quicktime, but from time to time when I go to a site, the page will start to load and then Netscape freezes. One particular site I noted required Quicktime and that is what started me on this. I went to another computer and it pulled it up ok. Then I tried changing my user to an administrator and it worked. Change it back to power user and zip.

I'm not sure if it is only Quicktime or Netscape having a problem loading plugins. This is really frustrating to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back