Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User account & tools for 11i Installation visoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandcv

Programmer
Oct 10, 2002
IN
I seek ans to following 2 questions. Pl respond

1)Which user account I shold login to for Oracle Apps 11i installation? Either applmgr or I should create new user? And what privilages such user must have? Documentation on this is a bit confusing

2)Is it mandetory to install VC++,MKS tool kit & gnu make
even for vision demo installation? Where no patched are required to be applied? I heard if you dont need to apply patched, you dont need to install above 3 tools/utilities.
Is it true?
Also, should I install above 3 tools thru same user account as I will use for 11i installation( as mentioned in Q1 above).

Eagerly waiting for your advice.
Thanks
Anand

1. You can create a new user or use the current one. Its entirely up to you! Whatever you choose, you must add the user to the Domain User groups; and if you want, to the Administrator group (If the user is not the Administrator himself)

Once you add the user, if the software is on a single machine (EG. Windows 2000) then you need to give permissions to the user to login in locally via the group policy.

2. Yes, you must install these applications prior to installing on a MS platform, REGARDLESS of what installation you choose!

There is also a specific order of installation, and all installation directories must not have any spaces in them! Always choose custom installation and choose the directory you want and the rewrite the name.

1. VisualC++ 6 & Service Pack 5
Tick register environment variables when asked in VisualC++ when installation finishes.

2. MKS InterOperbility 8.5 or 8.6 & the relevant update patch.

3a) GNUMAKE 3.79.1 and the 2 tools to uncompress "gunzip" & "tar".

b) First type: "gnuzip *.gz", and when complete, then execute "tar -xvf *.tar"
You'll be presented with a folder, eg make-3.79.1.

c) Go into the folder and execute "build_w32" - keep executing until u get the "succssful" message.

d) Go into the newly created "WinRel" folder, copy and paste "gnumake.exe" to the MKS\mksnt directory.

4) Install Java 1.3.1

5) Make sure you have a user account from step 1 ready or create one now.

6) It is strongly advised not to install from the CDs. This is a very lengthy installation and will require 5-6 hrs in front of the PC. It is best to create a "staging area" on your HDD, you will need approx. 15-20 gig to hold the CDs, preferrably on a different partition you are installing to. There is a specific method to creating this staging area and can be found on the CD Documentation Library. This way you can start the installation and return later as it is self-installed.

If you do not have the spare space, then good luck! Note, when installing from the CDs, after it performs the space, ports & system utilities check, the installation, providing all test pass, will issue a confirmation message to install. Once you click this, it will appear to begin to install. Note, I said appear, after approx. 5 mins it will exit without warning and what it has done without informing you is created a "bootstrap" file onto your HD along with a copy of the entire first CD (350-400MB). Locate the directory on your HDD, usually in the same partition you want to install Oracle 11i in, and click on the bootstrap file, the rest of the installation will continue by disk.

Hi

can U specify what version of 11i will this procedure works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back