Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

user access denied in Access 2000 Runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTEL

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2004
GB
We have two computers in a work group. On computer1 I have the back-end and front-end database files in the shared folder and 2 users out of 4 can access the database no problem. When the other users try to access the database they receive the error message "Microsoft Access can't Find The Database 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\db.mdb' Make sure you entered the correct path and filename" On computer2 I have the front-end database files in the shared folder and pointing to the same back-end database on computer1. Again 2 users out of 4 can access the database no problem. When the other users try to access the database they receive the same error described above.

I expect that this is some sort of windows permissions issue?
There are some clues to this fact ..
The two users that can't access the database are limited accounts, but I tried making them administrators and this had no affect.
Their shared documents folder does not have a hand underneath it?

Any help on this appreciated as it's really starting to annoy me now!

Thanks.

Hi

I had a similar problem and found that it was an issue with the firewall on the server.

Regards

Alan Edwards

85% of statistics that are quoted are entirely made up!

Hi - thanks for prompt response.
I've had the firewall turned off completely and also have "MSACCESSS.EXE" as an allowed exception. Either has no affect at all.
Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks

The backend should be placed in a shared folder that all four users can get to. It is best to map a drive letter to the location, use the same letter for all four computers. Then link the front end to the back end using the mapped drive on one computer. The have the other 3 computers copy the front end from the version you linked. This way all four version of the front end are identical and they all have access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back