Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

User able to shutdown Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

agianduso

MIS
Apr 19, 2002
US
I'm running a Citrix Server 4.0 Farm on Windows 2003 Servers. I have created citrix desktops for our users. One of our users was able to shutdown the server. How was this possible and how can I prevent this from happening in the future.

I would appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,

Tony

What groups is the user a member of, check the user does not have local admin rights on the Citrix box or that no domain global group that he/she is a member of has local admin rights on the citrix box

Regards, Darren

agianduso,
Darrens statement is correct.
This all comes down to access on the actual 2k3 server or domain.
If this user is a member of the local domain admin group then they will have FULL access to the server (ie...shut it down or reboot it).

If they are a member of the domain admins group...most likely the 2k3 server will have the domain admins group as a part of its local administrators group....same results.

Check group membership for that user and then check local administrators group.

Hope that helps.

You can also utilize a group policy at the domain or server level. There is a setting as to who can shut down the server. You can remove domain admins and just add specific users.

There is also a Group Policy Setting (local and domain) that you can apply to that server that only allow users/group the ability to shutdown the machine.

Magnum,

Can you specify the location of this GP?
I have another method in place... but I am curious to where this setting is?

Thanks!
Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back