Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

useful photo database?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavaghman

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
AU
Hi, I wonder can anyone suggest a good online photo/image database or library? I know about comstock but I was hoping to find some free or reasonable priced stuff and i'm looking for images with young people having fun....any ideas??

Cheers, Lavaghman!

It's hard to find FREE stock images of any quality and without restricted usage. But you could check out RoyaltyFreePhotos.com. Their prices are reasonable.

Creativepro.com has a search engine that will scan across many different online stock photo houses. And what Pixelchik said is correct: Royalty-free images "for free" (and being of good quality in terms of resolution, composition, color, etc) are pretty much impossible to find. There are "free" places to get images, but the quality's not very good.

Thanks guys, I eventually got an image off Wonderfile who i found through creativePro!

just wondering will this quality be sufficient for print with setting the image to a size of about 100mm X 150mm
(4" X 6" approx):

Low resolution 1-2 MB - uncompressed at 72 dpi
Approximately 1000 pixels on the longest dimensions - approximately 9 x 13 inches
Compressed file is approximately 300 to 400 K

any replys greatly appreciated!!

Well, first, printing *how*? Are we talking an inkjet hooked up to your printer or a service bureau? If an SB, contact the SB and find out what PPI resolution the images need to be in. Always consult with your printer to make sure you're submitting files in the correct format, etc, to them.

Physical number of bytes are irrelevant. Physical number of pixels is relevant.

Let's say they need 300ppi images to work with. A 4" x 6" image would need to be (at least) 1200x1800px [1200/300=4, 1800/300=6]

Hi

Just to add i needed good quality photos for a brochure. I got them from It was 100 dollars for 1 month of unlimited downloads. I use adsl so i just set it up and pulled off over 200. Well worth the money and well worth the time. I spent ages looking for "free photos" and yas we say in England "you get nowt for nowt" Its better to pay the money, save the time and get on with th job. All the photos were high res jpegs. I have now had the brochures printed and the results are excellent.

Hope this helps.
Bernard Lawes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back