Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used XP Recovery disk and now is missing hal.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

th3D3vil

Technical User
Oct 28, 2006
US
I used the Sony System Recovery disk (all 3).Then the system said "Recovery is complete , remove disk #3 and restart your computer ". Now all it will say is:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
<Windowsn root>system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file
Now thew problkem , I can't boot into the system in anyway , I.E. safe mode , command prompt or any device. I have know way to ibnstall the hal.dll. Any suggestions will save the computer from sure destruction, soon . Its a Sony Vaio , that had xp from the start , where did the hal.dll go during recovery.

Why was it necessary for you to re-install XP in the first place, are there additional problems that are going on here?

The hard drive manufacturer will have free diagnostic software to thoroughly check your hard drive for errors. This is self booting software usually run from a floppy.

Check your RAM too.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

HELP! missing hal.dll, no access to root
thread779-752222

Error Message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.

330184 - "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You Start Your Computer
Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware Configuration Problem

From this site -

BOOTIT NG

"If the BOOT.INI file does not point to the correct boot entry for Windows XP, you will get an error stating that Hal.Dll is missing . Simply correct the partition(x) entry in the BOOT.INI file or reorder the partitions in the MBR Details section of the boot item configuration."

A lot of info and ideas to be found there.

Have a look under "H" for Hal at this site too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back