Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Used Cisco 2514 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flexicar

MIS
Jun 13, 2002
US
I know nothing about configuring a Router, and a friend is telling me to zip over to EBay and look for a used 2514 cheap, and buy it, and learn at home.

1) Is this a viable learning tool ? (read: a good idea ?)

2) What is 'Cheap' ?

3) There are so many of them out there, with different options, what does one NEED
in a Router, options-wise, versus what is out there ? Some have a lot of Memory,
some don't, Software ?

For background, I have a server at home with Windows 2000 Server on it, 4 workstations, and just a cheap Linksys 4-port switch. I do not go out to the Internet
from my network. Local traffic on my network is NIL.

And I am also building a Linux 7.2 Server, and also will play with Apache..........

Someday, I will have a Cable modem, or cable router, or something like that, so each individual WS can get to the Internet. Do something - learn something - It isn't going to fix itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back