Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

used 21 GB of 40 GB capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisler2

MIS
May 8, 2000
AU
We are running Networker 5.5 build 38 on sunos 5.6. with configured 5 stacker Quantum jukebox using DLT4000 device.
We are using DLTIV medias.
When we run full backup the media is getting marked full. This is the message getting issued in daemon.log.

nsrd: media notice: dlt tape mines27.testtape.psu used 21 GB of 40 GB capacity
05/24/01 05:02:19 nsrd: media notice: volume "mines27.testtape.psu" on device "/
dev/rmt/2mbn": read 32770 bytes, expected block size of 98304, check system device ...

Anyone seen this and what resolution can you suggest.
Thanks

Do you get this error with all tapes, and all drives?

I would check the st.conf and ensure that it's configured correctly. Also make sure you can recover a file from the tape that has been written to. I've seen some issues when restoring in this kind of scenario...

Good Luck!

Does it mark them full all the time or just sometimes? and is it at the same block everytime?
I believe it is an issue/bug/feature in networker 5.5. I run NT 4 with networker 5.5.2 and I get the same thing once in a while I have talked to others who claim it is a bug, I also have a legato networker 6.01 machine under windows 2000 and i never get the errors. A few things you can try/reasons that I noticed causing my errors(BTW I have AIT2 tape drives)
1. Change tape mode to appendable and it resolves the problem temporarily.
2. Relabel the tape
3. Replace the tape
4. Clean the drive
5. Check event viewer for scsi errors

Hope that helps

I have seen something similar. The DLT4000 has a 20 GB native capacity, but also has the ability to compress data. The amount of compression depends on the data stored on the tape. A general compression guideline is two to one, therefore the DLT4000 is defined as a 20/40 GB drive i.e. 20 GB native with a likely compressed capacity of 40 GB, but the 40 GB is only a guideline. To use the compression features of the drive you need to use the cbn rather than mbn tape device under Solaris. To do this you will need to delete the current tape drive in Networker "media" devices" and add a new drive e.g. /dev/rmt/2cbn (if you have a jukebox you will also need to alter the jukebox definition).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back