Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use TCP/IP to share file between WinXP and Wn98SE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JethroWong

Technical User
Apr 24, 2003
HK
Any professionals can tell me whats wrong?

I use router to share internet
2 computer connect to router
both computer can browse internet and can ping the router and the other computer

but i can't ping the computer name ( DNS problem?)
Do i must implement a DNS server to ping the neighbour computer name?

Setting:

both computer use static private IP

192.168.0.2(computer A)
192.168.0.3(computer B)
192.168.0.254(router)
all subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway set to router 192.168.0.254
computers DNS set to 192.168.0.254

not set domain
not set WINS
both computer use WORKGROUP as "network name"
both computer install ms client network and file sharing

Thank You very very much !!

Did you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the WINS settings on the XP machine?

It be set to "Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server". In this case, you may need to enable NetBIOS on the router.

In WinXP, under the DNS settings, there is a box where your computer's name is registered with the DNS server. This should allow you to ping the WinXP computer by name. However, to ping the Win98 computer by name, NetBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled. This allows the WinXP computer to broadcast and discover your Win98 computer's IP (and MAC) address. Otherwise, you need a WINS server.

Set the router IP and Gateway address to 192.168.0.1

Make the changes in both clients as well for Gateway.

You have the router sitting on your subnet Broadcast address at the moment. (192.168.0.254)

The gateway should be 192.168.0.254, that is correct as it is or the internet will not work!
Workaround: Add the IP addresses and computernames to the hosts file in your Windows\System32\drivers\etc directory on Xp and the same in 98 for the other PC (system dir)

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Sorry for the gateway ip mistake above. Brain freeze.

With one router and two clients it is unlikely there is a DNS server for him to register Netbios names.

Under WinXP, TCP/IP Properties, Advanced, WINS, check "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP", uncheck use LMHOSTS.

Do the same for the Win98 box, Making sure that TCP/IP is the default protocol, and that Netbios over TCPIP is enabled.

He should not need a hosts file or DNS server. As both clients are on the same network, their Netbios broadcasts should be received without a problem. The name problem he has I would guess is that Netbios as a naming service is not enabled, not that it is not registered.

I am sure this is not true, but in the interest of completeness, make certain that the computer names are unique and that they do not exceed 8 characters.

?

I believe you meant to say 15 characters? NetBIOS names can only be 15 characters long.

Windows share names for folders should be limited to 12 characters as Win98 won't recognize shares with names longer than 12 characters.

Not sure where the 8 characters came from. Maybe you were thinking of the old DOS 8.3 limits?

I am thinking that it is an old prejudice that needs to be rethought. Thanks for making me rethink the issue. Its been a while but I think the prejudice came from trying to resolve the use of FQDN and having them occasionally fail in settings due to their line length.

Thank you!
I don't know what I have done but every thing work fine now.
HeHe..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back