Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Subfile display to export data to VB App

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKUB

Programmer
Feb 6, 2004
US
I am attempting to use a Sub-file Diplay program to pass Data to a Visual Basic Application. I want to send data thru a Data Area . The problem, I'm trying the run the RPG display file WITHOUT displaying any data. Anyone have any thoughts on how to acheive this?(Basicly using a display pgm to pass data )

Change the display file F-Spec to be user controlled and do not open it.
Instead of writing the subfile record, write the data out to wherever you want, I would use a data queue.

I would probably define all the same fields that are in the subfile in a data strucure and then write the data structure out to a data queue. That way all my data is aligned in each transaction making it easier for the VB program to parse it out.

You will have to let the program decide if it is running interactively or not so you can decide if it should use the display file or the data queue process, and open the display file if needed.

T. Bishop

Hi,
SFLDSP and SFLDSPCTL kwds are conditioned with indicators, right ? Hence just set those indicators Off (or On maybe ?) to prevent the display to occur on screen.
I used it and that did the trick.
hth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back