Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use permissions to block access to dirs at an upper level

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredNoB

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
GB
I have an area on a W2K server which holds an application. The application is in a Dir called FolderA. Users access the app using a shortcut and it runs OK. FolderA has Read, Read & Execute, and list contents permissions. However users can browse to levels above FolderA. They cannot amend any of the data in the upper level but could copy data. Apart from moving FolderA, is there a way to prevent users from seeing the dirs above FolderA by amending the permissions? Thanks in advance

Sounds like a directory design problem.

The fix is to Share Folder A

Right now, they have a mapped drive to a folder above Folder A. They connect to a share above (\\servername\SHARE\example\folderA) This is what allows them to walk back up the directory structure.

Share FolderA, then have users map directly to folderA (\\servername\folderA) They will not be able to walk up.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thanks Joseph. You are right that the directory above is shared. I use this as an area for users to connect to resources which they run via shortcuts. The security is not as tight as I would like so it looks like I will have to take the share down a level. If I create a new folder called Resources and move FolderA into it. I can share FolderA but what rights will Resources need to ensure that users access and execute only from FolderA? Sorry to sound dumb but I want to ensure I have this water-tight.

If I create a new folder called Resources and move FolderA into it. I can share FolderA but what rights will Resources need to ensure that users access and execute only from FolderA?"

You don't have to worry about the rights on the directory Resources. This is because the SHARE is below resources. You will have to map users to the SHARE (FOLDERA). In this way, users will not have the ability to walk up the directory structure beyond the share point.

example:

Resources\FolderA <--- FolderA is shared

Clients will get a mapping to FolderA (lets pretend the M: drive).

On a client machine, they will see this:

M:\(folderA)

The clients will not be able to "walk" back to folder RESOURCES even if FULL control was given to RESOURCES. This is due to the share point the clients get mapped to.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back