Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of the backspace during login

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpanattoni

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2002
US
I am using RedHat's Linux and would like to know if there is a way to enable the backspace key during login. As it stands, if a user mistypes their login and presses the backspace, ^H is displayed.

Incidentally, the delete key works as the backspace should, but trying to retrain a user to use the delete key when the backspace key should be is not the solution.

Thanks in advance.

Are you trying to log in remotely (i.e. through telnet). I have found most times that I see the same behavior through telnet but not on the local machine (keyboard). I assume that it is something different between the windows and linux mapping. (I typically telnet in from a windows box).

try this in your login file:

stty erase hitbackspacehere

Yes, this behaviour only exists when I am loggin in via a telnet session.

Which login file are you referring to? The only file name login that I have is in the pam.d folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back