Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use of a server as a forwarder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2002
CA
Small network has replaced a Novell IPX box with Microsoft 2003 server running TCP/IP.

Main complaint is the time required for the workstations to establish the link to the application when compared to the IPX system.

The Windows 2003 server has a static address. They do not use Active Directory.

Would an improvement option be to set up the Windows 2003 box as a DNS server with a forwarder to the DNS in use now and have the client workstations use the Windows 2003 server as their primary DNS?

Thanks

I think I might be off track here.

Should I be using a WINS configuration?

Thanks

What server hosts your DNS now?

I'd set it up as follows:

[li]W2K3 server hosts DNS.[/li]
[li]Clients point to W2K3 for their DNS.[/li]
[li]W2K3 server points to itself for DNS.[/li]
[li]W2K3 server has forwarders to external DNS server.[/li]

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read How can I maximize my chances of getting an answer? before posting.

Why do you think its a DNS issue? Do you get the same results when you connect via IP only?

Could be STP in a switch also...

That negotiation can take 50 seconds, so anything like a PC, especially DHCP boxes, the switchports need to be set for spantree-portfast (that's the Cisco command, anyway...).

HTH

/

Free and simple bandaid since you said it was a small network, if your clients are XP or earlier microsoft hunt down your hosts file edit that and then distribute it...

poorman's dns

don't forget to remove the IPX protocol from the network stack if you no longer need it. This can cause slowdowns on tcp networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back