Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use NIC instead of modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cst172

MIS
Jul 15, 2002
US
Hi,

My problem is that I have a vpn connection using an external modem. When I try to open Lotus Notes it tries to find the mail server across the modem rather than thru my LAN. Part of the problem is that the mail server is on a different subnet than my LAN. Is there a way to tell Lotus Notes to go thru the NIC rather than the modem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

First verify that you can ping the Notes server ... if you can ... go to File – Preferences – User Preferences… click the ‘Ports’ button, select TCPIP from the ‘Commutations ports’ windows and click the ‘Trace’ button. On the Trace Connections dialog box click the drop down arrow and select the server to which you are trying to connect then click the ‘Trace’ button

By clicking the ‘Trace’ button you will force Lotus Notes to connect to the server if it’s available. In the ‘Trace Info’ section Notes will display the current status of your connection. If the server is available you will see the statement ‘Connected to server’

It may take a couple of traces but this should work.

Check to see what the Location document is that Notes is using.

If Notes is trying to connect to your system via a modem it appears that it is using a Home or Travel location.

On the RH bottom corner of the Notes screen is a location identifier. Click and selct Office from the pop up list.
This should solve your problem.

When I had the problem it didn't matter which location I was using, I even deleted all of them and created a new one and had the same problem. By using the Trace command you are forcing Notes to find the connection.

you will need to set up a persistent route for the different subnet.

route -p xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx MASK 255.255.255.255 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

where the first IP is the actual IP of your VPN, the MASK is to allow for the specific IP and the last IP is your interface IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back