Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use .Net Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubsonicAbercrombie

Technical User
Dec 2, 2007
US
Can ASP make calls to .Net objects without using COM+? If so how? [ponder]

In order for ASP to see the .NET component, the component needs to be registered in the registry. You could go two routes, a COM interop assembly or COM+. The COM interop gets registered with regasm.exe and the COM+ with regsvcs.exe.

Either way, you still would access the component as any COM component with Server.CreateObject() or just CreateObject().
You can also use the object tag.
<OBJECT Runat="Server" ID="NextLink" ProgID="MSWC.NextLink"></OBJECT>

Ouch. No custom COM components allowed in the environment I'm going to. Correct me if I'm wrong but there's a checkbox in the .Net Project properties that enables the dll to be registered as a Com Interop. But if I hear you right, this COm interop needs to be registered on the deployed server. Double ouch.....

One approach left; Can I cut and paste ASP code into ASP.Net.

DBA, .Net Coder, Goof off and mad scientist........

Yes, you can use the ASP code in ASP.NET in the same way, but in the ASPX page.

<%
Your asp code
%>

Are you aware of any changes to ASP code in an ASPX page? I knwo there's .Net stuff but are there any depreciated ASP commands that ASPX wouldn't process in the html section?

DBA, .Net Coder, Goof off and mad scientist........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back