Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

use modem from web app 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiral123

Programmer
Sep 9, 2002
CA
Im not sure how to go about it, but we have several people from different cities calling from a database.
I would like to put the database in a sql database on our server so they can use the same database without splitting the numbers. That part I have under control. My issue is that my boss would like the caller's computer auto dial the number, e.g 111-222-3333 would be sent to the callers modem and dialed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

There is nothing you can do with server-side logic that will cause the browser client machine to use its modem.

I think you will find that the default security settings on most browsers will also prevent client-side script from access to the modem.

This makes sense... you wouldn't want a web page to causes your modem to make a toll call to 1-900-ANA-LSEX

If your users all use Windows and they all trust you enough to install software you provide then you could create an ActiveX object that talks to the modem and then write client-side script to control the ActiveX object. You could even go so far as using ASP to dynmaically modify the script that is sent to the browser but that is as close as you will get to controling the client's modem with ASP.

In theory would it be possible to get one of those programs that scans your registry then you would create the dial up connection then re-scan your registry and the program would turn the changes into a registry file that the user could download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back