Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USE HTTP to Download a File

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbargsley

MIS
Nov 2, 2004
US
Hello all...

I have a delima. I have 6 servers running Microsoft ISS with Web Site installed. My network admin will not install FTP on these web servers. I need to find a way to download files using HTTP instead of FTP. I have written programs using FTP and they worked great, however I cannot now.

We have created a website to download a file to upgrade certain software packages on our netwok, but the main part of the update requires an e-mail to be sent and a link to be clicked to the website to download the file.

I need to program something that will connect to these servers and download using HTTP, I am not sure if any username and password is needed, but those can be added to the server if need be.

Any ideas on how to accomplish what I am looking for let me know.

Thanks
Garry B

Try using Microsoft Internet Control, in your VB program. You can add that by going to Project-->Components-->Microsoft Internet Controls. Say you have created a control called WebBrowser1 on your form.
Private Sub Command2_Click()
Me.Caption = "Please wait ..."
Screen.MousePointer = vbHourglass

WebBrowser1.Navigate "\\" & Text1.Text 'Try to navigate to specified IP address(your server IP address or server name)

End Sub

This will display the shared folders on the webserver.

Hope this would help, or this is what you are looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back