Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Google spreadsheet to populate ASP.net web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

may1hem

Programmer
Jul 28, 2002
GB
A couple of friends and I share a Google spreadsheet to keep a list of events. I want to use this spreadsheet to populate a web page. I want it to the web page to automatically update when the spreadsheet is updated. So I'm guessing I should use an ASP.net repeater and pull in the spreadsheet data?

I'm not sure how to pull in data from Google Sheets. I found the Google Sheets API documentation page, but it simply offers these 2 lines of code:
Code:
using Google.GData.Client;
using Google.GData.Spreadsheets;
Do I need ask my hosting company to install anything to get this to work? Otherwise how does the web server know what to do with this?

If you're using asp.net then they'll need to install at least .net framework. They won't be able to do it if they run a Linux system: many ISPs run on Linux: not Windows.

On Servers, unlike home PCs, installation of .net framework is optional.

My ISP does have ASP.net installed (version 4). What do I need to do be able to use "Google.Gdata.Client"? I'd imagine either something needs to be installed on the web server, or there needs to be a link to pull in this ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back