Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

use DHCP to change metrics and prioritize LAN over WLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harime

ISP
Jun 6, 2016
EU
Hi everyone,

At work we have both LAN and WLAN connections for our laptops, and in order to relieve load from the WLAN network, we want to tweak the metrics so we can always prioritize the Ethernet connection over the WLAN connection. Many users connect both and end up using the WiFi, when we want to have the opposite done. Clients are running Windows 7/10.

Our DHCP is running on a Red Hat server.

I'm trying to find info on the internet about this, but I don't seem to find a clear solution on how could I change some parameter to override the metrics via DHCP.

What I found so far is this table for Windows ip route metrics.

DEC - HEX - VALUE​
10 - 0x0000000A - Greater than 200 Mbps.
20 - 0x00000014 - Greater than 80 Mbps, and less than or equal to 200 Mbps.
25 - 0x00000019 - Greater than 20 Mbps, and less than or equal to 80 Mbps.
30 - 0x0000001E - Greater than 4 Mbps, and less than or equal to 20 Mbps.
40 - 0x00000028 - Greater than 500 Kbps, and less than or equal to 4 Mbps.
50 - 0x00000032 - Less than or equal to 500 Kbps.

My current route metrics are 10 for my Ethernet interface and 25 for my WiFi, however, what I want is to force these metrics to any device connected. I'm supposed to change something called Option 43, but I don't seem to find an example with dhcpd on Linux.

It has to work with Ethernet only, with WiFi only, and when both are connected.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back