Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

use computer to record albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohdoh30

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
i have about 300 albums i want to put on my pc what do i need and have to do to put them on my pc?

When you say albums, I take it you mean music recordings, as opposed to, say, photo albums?

If it's music albums, you'll need a LARGE hard disk to store them on, a soundcard with phono input (preferably, although mini jack is just about adequate), and a phono out on your stereo.

The software that comes with most soundcards is very basic, and may not do what you want it to.

For example, if you are recording vinyl or reels of tape, you may require some software that "cleans" the sound - by removing extraneous noise such as static pops, etc. There is cheap software that makes a good attempt at this, and there is expensive software that does this very well.

The other two things you'll need are a cable to connect your stereo out to the soundcard in, and a piece of recording software.

If your operating system is one of the Microsoft Windows family, then you have Sound Recorder, which is incredibly basic, but does the job.

There are many good music recording packages out there - I particularly like FastTrak's MP3 Professional.

You don't need an MP3 encoder, but it'll save you HUGE amounts of space;

A standard *.wav file, such as Sound Recorder creates, is about 40Mb in size, at high quality (and why would you want any other quality ;-)). An MP3 of that file would be about 4Mb, and the difference in quality is only noticeable by audiophiles.

If you are talking about photo albums, you'll need a LARGE hard disk, a scanner and some scanning software (most scanners come with reasonable software).

If you need any help, post back - I know there are many MP3 experts on this forum :)

If I remember correctly, it takes 8MB for every minute per track. example-2 tracks(stereo of course)times 3 1/2 min (average) per song equals 7 X 8MB=56MB 56MB X 300 songs=(where's my calculator?) 16,800 MB or 16.8GB HOLY COW!!! Of course Hard Drives are cheap anyway. Would'nt it be wiser to just get a CD burner or am I just missing the point? By the way, I think MP3 sounds like crap, but I own a recording studio, so I guess I should. :)

I want to create a program in access that automatically scans the x-rays form the scanner (some patient record) and then diplays it on a form , and saves it in an access database.. can anybody help me write the code??
Thanks You

I will be waiting for a reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back