Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use Bound Or Unbound form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2002
US
Working in a network environment, I have a front-end database that provides the user interface for a back-end database (back-end only contains tables).
When adding a record I use an unbound form to capture all of the users information and then use a save routine to create a blank recordset (openrecordset with SQL using a recordkey that will always return no records), add and update the record.
Currently, when a user wants to review or update an existing record. I use a saved query as the record source on a different bound form. The saved query contains the unique record key for the item they want and only 1 record is returned.
Should I re-write the application to use an unbound form for viewing and updating? Or, is there minimal impact on the network and concurrency when the recordsource bound to the form contains only 1 record?
(as an aside - due to the way this database is utilized and the area's operational needs, it is very unlikely that more than 1 user will be working with a particular record at a time).

Like you, I prefer to not bind controls directly to the data but not because of concurrency or locking strategy but because it's so much easier to control a state based (SELECT,ADD,EDIT) form. JHall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back