Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use a strong password, as my granddaughter does 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SantaMufasa

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
US
I was watching my granddaughter log into something on the computer the other day. Her password was dozen of keystrokes. Here is the conversation that ensued:
Grampa: If I promise not to tell anyone, will you tell me your password?

G-Daughter: MickeyMinniePlutoHueyLouieDeweyDonaldGoofySacramento

Grampa: Why so long?

G-Daughter: They told me my password had to be 8 characters and at least one capital.
Now that's a strong password.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm or risk. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

That's most excellent. Thank you for sharing. You have made me smile today.

> You have made me smile...

That's what Santa does :)

HTH,

p5wizard

Ahh...to be young and be able to remember passwords (at all)! :)

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

And you "promise not to tell anyone" - now we all know her password. :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

> ...now we all know...

Yes, well, WE all promise not to tell ANYONE, won't we? Well OK, anyone except our spouse. And our colleagues. And the hairdresser. Ok and the guys at the pub... Oh dear...

Hmm... Santa, does your g-daughter know any more of those "characters"? I think she'll HAVE to change her password! ;-)

HTH,

p5wizard

You know, as passwords go - it is good to know another language. Not Fortran, Cobol or C#, but Spanish, German or Swahili.

Try to break a password like:[tt]
Konstantynopolitanczykowianeczka[/tt]
(example of a last name from my country, but I have never met anybody with that name :) )

Most of my passwords are not english words

Have fun.

---- Andy

Hehe.... whenever someone gives me crap at the office, I say "That's OK, have a good laugh... who will be laughing when your password expires every 1/2 hour, and has to be 37 characters including Kanji." ;)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

I always have something really REALLY rude, then I'm never tempted to disclose it to anyone.

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Fee, surely you can confide in us here. We won't tell. Promise! ;-)

HTH,

p5wizard

I really couldn't [blush].

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Great story Santa!

My password for everything is passw0rd. Notice how I put in a 0 (zero) for the 'o' in password. Nobody will EVER figure it out! HA! Take THAT, hackers! %-)

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

jebenson said:
My password for everything is passw0rd. Notice how I put in a 0 (zero) for the 'o' in password. Nobody will EVER figure it out! HA! Take THAT, hackers!

passw0rd is number 34 in the top 50 gawker passwords:

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

traingamer said:

Haha, number 31 is f---you (with the appropriate letters for the dashes, I assume). That's classy!

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Hi,
I have used many a product name spelled backwards ( or one backwards and one with every other letter skipped)

The difficulty with very strong passwords is the tendency of folks to write them down ( and usually tape that note under their desk or desk drawer).

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

gbaughma - devilish... I like it... ;-)

Andrzejek - difficult, yes... Impossible, No... Bruteforce will eventually get that one... but it would take ages... which is good...

jebenson - hmmm... what was your bank account information again... ;-)

Turkbear - darn it, now I gotta remove all 50 passwords from my monitor, now that you spilled the beans... ;-)

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I used a decidedly low-tech method - I just closed my eyes, and randomly hit keys on the keyboard while in Notepad. My strong passwords are all variants of the above. As it turns out, my password is easy for me to remember, but it doesn't mean anything to anyone else.

-- Francis
Et cognoscetis veritatem, et veritas liberabit vos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back