Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Use 2 ADSL modems for 1 phone line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pistachi0

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
AU
Hi all,
I have an ADSL connection at home, connected to a switch for 2 desktops in my livingroom. I use an ADSL modem for this connection. I have only 1 phone line, and I have another ADSL modem that I got from my friend. My question is: can I use this spare modem for laptop use in my bedroom (the phone line is the same), so I don't have to get a wireless LAN? And if I can use 2 modems in 1 phone line, what steps do I need to take to adjust my home network?

Thanks.

I don't think so, as you only have one account from your ISP. You have to have a username/password to sign on to a dsl service. You would probably be better off just setting up a wireless lan. It would be more convienant, anyways.

David

In theory yes you could do this. You would not be able to have 2 connections at the same time with this set up. Some ISP's also record the serial/MAC address of the modem that you use and only allow that device to connect with your user name and password.

I agree with David that Wireless would be the way to go, it's not too expensive now a days, at least not here in the UK. I recently brought enough wireless equipment to share a broadband connection with 4 PC's in a house for under £100.

what steps do I need to take to adjust my home network?

Let us know what you have in place, if you have some sort of cabled network already then we can likely talk you through how to share the connection.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back