Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB won't read external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmunster123

Technical User
May 22, 2012
US
I have four usb's on a desktop computer someone built for me at work, two of them don't work at all but he other two work fine with keyboard, mouse, usb wireless modem. My problem is the working usb's won't read my external hard drive, my hard drive works fine when hooked up to my laptop. I tried updating the usb's but no luck. Bad motherboard? Any help appreciated.

I'm assuming that you were using the front USB ports, but can't tell from your post. I'd find it hard to believe that the rear (integrated) USB ports wouldn't work right out of the box. Can you try the rear USB ports?

What does device manager tell you when the hard drive is plugged in? If it doesn't list the device as an exclamation mark (problem), then it's just not seeing it. I'm suspicious of the connections from USB to motherboard if two of them don't work.

Again I agree with Goom. Case manufacturers have an issue with reliable USB cables for front ports, even on very good name brand cases.

When I plug the external drive into the usb the drive beeps, I don't have this problem when plugging it into my laptop and it reads the drive just fine. Yes, the back two usb's are working on the desktop, the front two don't work at all. But when I plug the the external drive into one of the back to usb's I get the beeping, I no longer get the error message. I can't remember what the message said, something about the usb's not being fast enough?

the front two don't work at all
You need a better computer builder.

You never said what Device Manager shows when the device is plugged in.

So, you're plugging a USB 3.0 device into a USB 2.0 port or less likely, a USB 2.0 device into a 1.1 hub.

If you want to spend a few bucks, get a powered USB add-on hub. Will PROBABLY fix the problem. Something like this:

Thanks eveyone for your responses, I think I will have to replace the mobo or buy the usb add on hub, yeah the guy that built this could have made it from surplus at the school board where I'm an intern, he charged me $60 for it and it also freezes up on occasion. It's fast, thats one good thing. Thanks again.

$60 doesn't get you a "built with new components" computer, even with a used case. I'm pretty suspicious that this guy used a piece from here and a piece from there.

You might check on the validity of your Windows license as well. May have used the school's license..... if you care.

The problem is I'm to low on money to buy a new computer and I need this computer for my photography. He said he would give me my money back but then I would have no computer at all. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy a new motherboard. It could be freezing because of bad ram maybe. Yes, I'm sure the built this computer with parts taken from different places.

Sounds like the USB ports simply aren't powered enough to run the drive.

You can either if the drive enclosure supports it get a power brick for it, or perhaps get a USB add-on card that is powered off of the MB.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Vacunita,

Does that mean the motherboard is very old?

Not particularly, it may just mean its a low end MB, or that the power supplied to the USB ports is not enough for this particular drive.

I've had several drives that work fine on one machine without a power supply, but require it on another one.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Not a better power supply in the computer. He means that some external hard drives draw too much current from the USB port. Some external hard drives take two usb plugs to solve this problem, others use an AC adapter to provide DC power for the external hard drive.

Usually, you get a warning message about USB power, something like "A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port"

If your external drive has neither two USB plugs nor a jack on it for an external AC adapter to plug into it, then it probably SHOULD work with your computer but it's not. You can't add an AC adapter if there is no jack.

That's why I suggested a powered hub. Not a guarantee that this is the solution though.

Yup, I was referring to the drive's power supply. Not the one in the computer.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

Vacunita - To avoid confusion, you might have asked first if the drive came with a power adapter. Most don't in the 2.5 form factor.

I'm trying to figure out which would be smarter/cheaper to buy to see if it would fix the problem. I lean toward the powered USB hub because that takes the power out of the equation vs. using the motherboard and an add-in card.

Can the OP give the brand/model of the external drive please?

Vacunita - To avoid confusion, you might have asked first if the drive came with a power adapter. Most don't in the 2.5 form factor.
True. Though I did mention it was for the drive itself.

I'm trying to figure out which would be smarter/cheaper to buy to see if it would fix the problem. I lean toward the powered USB hub because that takes the power out of the equation vs. using the motherboard and an add-in card.

Can the OP give the brand/model of the external drive please?
I tend to agree with you goomb. A powered USB hub may be an easier cheaper choice, specially if the external drive does not support a power supply of its own.

I second the make and model request.

Phil AKA Vacunita

Web & Tech

It sounds as though the USB keyboard, mouse and wireless modem don't leave enough power available to USB devices to handle the external drive. As goom and vacunita point out, a powered USB Hub (with a wall wart) will likely solve the problem, unless there's a conflict with the version of USB the motherboard supports. The motherboard USB version needs to be equal to or greater than the version on the connected devices.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back