Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

usb VPN to ISP - W2k and XP to access web ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmike

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
IL
In a nutshell ..

My ISP requires a log in and password.
Their floppy disk sets up a VPN via USB
Neither my XP or W2k machines can access the ISP via their modem using a network card and RJ45

My two machines can see each other on the network but if one logs in using USB then the other can't access the Internet.

How do I get both of them online at the same time ?

I have a router.

Internet sharing ?

thanks

Mike

What ISP is this? And what type of service is it? I have seen the USB connections on cable and DSL modems but never used them. I have yet to see a cable or DSL modem that cannot be plugged into a router via ethernet and shared amongst multiple PCs.

I have since moved (not because of the connection problem :) and all is well at my new locatation, but thanks for your follow up.

I never did solve the problem. It was a cable connection and for some reason the provider installed via their floppy disk a USB only system. When I tried to connect via the router I didn't get the opportunity to enter the user name and password.

Thankfully the problem has gone bye bye.

regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back