Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB to Serial through Procomm Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelcityman2002

Technical User
Mar 18, 2013
US
Good Morning,

I am trying to interface a CS1000 using Procomm 4.8 through a USB to Serial converter, but I cant get it to work. Any help would really be appreciated. I have tried 3- different laptops, 1- with 32bt Vista and 2- with Windows & 64 bit and neither one works. Also, I have tried a ATEN Converter and a Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS. I know that Procomm can only use COM1-4, so I made the adjustments in Device Manager settings, but it still doesn't work. I have tried with and w/o a NULL modem, but no luck. I am using 9660 n-8-1 with zmodem although I've tried them all, with no resolution. I have tried similar combinations at other sites as well, but still no worky.....HELP!

Save yourself the headache and frustrations and get yourself a serial card or if this is a laptop, find a docking port with a serial interface. If you do happened to find a usb to serial that work, it will not work 100% of the time...

Im assuming you've installed the latest drivers for the device?

Remember if it doesn't work hit it harder

Scott UK

Are you using a Null Modem adapter to connect with?. I've never had a problem with using one but have had to alter the comm port to accept between ports 1 and 4.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Tis a long time since I have done this.....

When the USB device is installed, it gets allocated serial port numbers 5 - 8 (or whatever. This is beyond Procomm that works on 1 - 4.

You need to get into the USB / Serial properties and change the serial allocation back into the 1 - 4 range.

This I think is done in the device manager of your PC. Look for the modem, and then Properties...Port Settings. Here you will see a radio button "Advanced"... press that. At the bottom is your Comm Port Number. Click this, and change this number back to the 1 - 4 range. Beware though that you do not create a ort number conflict.

Good Luck

My copy of Procomm 4.8 recognizes Comm 1 - 9.

Try this
Click on Options, System Options, Modem Connection
In the Current Modem/Connection drop down box, choose direct connect-Com9
Check the box next to Make this connection available to Procomm Plus.
Click OK

Repeat for the port(s) you're using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back