Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB thumb drive doesn't respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odyssey

Technical User
Dec 16, 2001
US
I have a Kingston 4GB DataTraveler which has stopped responding. If you try to open it in Windows, a message says:
"Please insert a disk in Drive (drive letter)"

in Ubuntu linux, the message is:
"Unable to mount location"
"No media in the drive"

If I try to format it in Windows, a message says:
"There is no disk in Drive (drive letter)"
"Insert a disk, then try again"

Any ideas about what the problem is? TIA

As Lemon13 suggests, it's probably toast...

However, if Windows is actually allocating a drive letter, then try running CHKDSK on it. Or maybe GetDataBack, which can be used on drives WITHOUT a drive letter...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I opened a command window and entered: chkdsk F: (F is the drive letter on this windows computer) and got the message:

"Cannot open volume for direct access."

Is this the correct way to utilize chkdsk?

Yes, that's they right way to invoke chkdsk.

Your thumb drive has basically failed. It was likely exposed to a slight static shock while being plugged into the USB port. Happens all the time during the winter where I work.

Hmm, that's interesting to me - static shock over USB. Anybody got any advice as to how to avoid such? Especially in the winter time, as danomac suggests.

Also, Odyssey, if the data on there was important, and you want to take the time/effort, you CAN try to solder the memory chip to another USB cord... of course you have to cut the USB cord, and you have to dissasemble the flash drive. I've not actually joined the two, myself, via soldering, but I've pulled a flash drive apart - VERY simple.

Anyway, there are examples/pictorals online showing how others have done the same to recover their data before chunking the dead drive.

From my experience, I like the convenience, but I'd not trust anything on a thumb drive - I've had more failures there, personally, or near failures at least, than with mechanical drives.

Another problem that can occur is not only shock, but the USB connection's solder could come loose from the flash memory. I've had that happen at least one, that I can specifically remember... maybe twice.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

kjv1611 said:
Hmm, that's interesting to me - static shock over USB. Anybody got any advice as to how to avoid such? Especially in the winter time, as danomac suggests.

One of the obvious solutions is to get a humidifier, but if you can't...

I just touch the bare metal on the case first, and keep holding my finger/palm on the case while plugging in my USB thumb drives. I've not fried one since the first one a couple years ago.

I've got some users that have fried four or five of the things now - even after telling them repeatedly they don't learn. At least the things are only ten bucks. Had they been more they wouldn't have been replaced the third time.

I have returned that one for replacement. It will be interesting to see if they do replace it or say it is not eligible because....... (insert reason here.)

Thanks for the guidance on static electricity

manhunter2826 said:
...And we all agree that the data is more important than the cost of the drive.

I never said data was unimportant. We have several offices within close range where I work, and the #1 use of these things is to move data from one office to another. The stuff on the USB keys aren't the only copy, in our case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back