Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Tape Drive Support? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNeubauer

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
DE
I manage a server with Brightstor 11.5 SP2 installed for tape backups. The server does not have a SCSI bus, so I suggested they purchase an external USB 2.0 drive. Arcserve does not recognize the drive, and now I see that it is not on the approved list. Is there a patch or trick that will make Brightstor recognize the USB device?

Device: HP DAT 72 USB

Have you tried adding this drive as a file system device instead of trying to recognize it as a tape device? Go to "Configuration", then "Device", and add it as a file system device and see if this works.

FSD will not work with a USB tape drive. Make sure you have the latest Tape Engine update installed. The HP DAT72 is certified. The drive should not be plugged into a hub but direct into the computer. Try a different USB port. Install OS service pack to get the USB driver update.

Thanks DavidMichel,
You're right the FSD did not work. I see the drive in Windows Device Manager, but Brightstor cannot find it. I will search for the latest tape engine update and verify the latest OS patches.

Thanks!

I went looking for post SP2 Tape Engine updates, but all I found were patches for tape libraries and I have a single drive. When I launch the Device Configuration wizard, and choose the Removable Drive selection I get the following message:

"No removable drive detected. If a removable drive is attached, make sure that cables are properly connected and that power is on."

OH, I'm supposed to turn it on? Sorry, a little frustrated IT humor.

When I go to the Device Manager in Windows, it sees a HP DAT 72 tape drive; and the drive is connected directly to the server. Moreover, other USB 2.0 devices seem to work on the same USB ports. For example, I have a external DVD burner I've been using until the tape backups work. I can't help but think it is a Brightstor problem. Do you recommend a specific patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back