Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldTechGuy

IS-IT--Management
Dec 28, 2005
US
My new laptop has only USB ports and my SK98 only lets me sync via a serial port. I have both serial and USB cradles, just don't know how to sync my Handspring to SK98 via USB.

I am using Windows XP Pro.

I see in the archives this question has been asked before, but I didn't see any answers.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

OldTechGuy

I don't know about Handspring, but my Palm Vx also syncs via the serial port. BUT Palm sells a seperate accesory (including a set-up CD) which converts the serial cable to a USB connection and thus allows one to sync via the USB connection. You play the installation CD and then plug the serial cable into one end of a cable which has a USB connection on its other end.

Hopefully, Handspring also has such an accessory. (And if they don't, the above software/hardware might work for your Handspring.)

Thanks for the reply, but if I understand what you are sugguesting, that does not solve my problem. My problem is when I setup syncing with SK98 and my Handspring, I am given the option of serial or com ports to sync from, no USB. I do not have serial ports on my machine, only USB. I have a USB sync cable that works with the Palm Desktop, but the problem is how do I get SK98 to use USB instead of serial.

Does the software that comes with the cable you sugguested somehow redirect output sent to a serial port to a USB port?

Thanks

OldTechGuy

Does the software that comes with the cable you sugguested somehow redirect output sent to a serial port to a USB port?

If memory serves me correctly, yes it does. I think both of our PDAs were issued prior to USB ports being so popular as they later became. Give it a try.

Look what I found while searching for something else?

Found the box that contained contained Palm "the USB to serial port adapter". It's called the "PalmConnect USB Kit". It doesn't seem to have any kind of part number. It contains the connector/adapter, a CD-Rom and an instruction manual.

I think I bought mine through eBay.

==========================================
\ Actually my earlier answer was not quite correct. The software does NOT redirect the output. Rather it adds "USB port" to the list of options on the menu that opens up when you set up the Palm. Clicking on the USB option and then executing the menu then redirects the output to a USB port. So the redirecting is done by the Palm software, not the PalmConnect CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back