Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Restrictions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamccor

MIS
Apr 4, 2003
US
I work as a tech in a school district. Anyone who is not an administrator of the machine will be asked for a name and password when any device is plugged into the usb ports. How can I change that?
Thanks
John

hehe... better answer.. talk to your network admin above you

Or, I believe, have a look in gpedit.msc at Local Computer Policy\Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignments\Load and unload device drivers

I think I will try Dillinger99's advice. I do not want to give all our students (over 1000 of them) admin rights!
I am and admin on the network also.It works for me

keep in mind you would have to change that computer policy setting on every machine if you arent running a domain controlled group policy.

I reviewed the difference between a Win3k and XP "Power User" and the NT Rights necessary for both Adminsitrator, Power User and User under XP earlier this week: thread779-1279772

Use either Gpedit or NTRIGHTS.EXE to grant the needed permissions for USB devices for your users.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Thanks Guys.I checked with a teacher who uses the computer in question, and the advice Dillinger gave did work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back