Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB problem 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

noslenwerd

Programmer
May 2, 2005
US
Not sure if this is the right forum, but if its not feel free to move it.

Ok... when i try to connect anything to my USB port, all that happens is an icon comes up that says "remove hardware safely".. You know that little icon that looks like a disc with a green arrow on it.

But when i go into my computer, nothing shows up? And i know i have all the software i need for this. Also Even when i just plug in a usb storage device that requires no software, it does this...

Please help

When you have something plugged in, what does the device manager show?

start > control panel > system > hardware > device manager

Anything out of the ordinary, any red exclamation markers?

Are you in a network setting?

It might be that you have at logon mapped drives being assigned to the drive letters XP also is using as drive letter assignments for your USB storage device.

Try:

Moving any CD Rom devices to unused higher drive letters using Disk Management. This should create enough "room" in the lower drive letter space to permit the mount manager to located a non-conflicting drive letter assignment.

Also along the Device Manager line of thought...........

While you may have the software check to make sure all the drivers are installed correctly (or at all).

You may also want to check Hidden Devices:

start > control panel > system > hardware > device manager > view > show hidden devices

If anything shows up with the exclamation mark you may neeed to install the drivers, even if its a USB key that requires no software.

Often in work/network situations the administrators will set the registry so that devices are not automatcially loaded up when you plug them in so you may just have to do this manually.

bcastner yes i am in a network setting.. can you please be more specific about disk management?

Check to make sure it is not a hidden icon in the notification area. Right Click on Start and go to properties. In the Notification area click Customize. You should see the icon in there.

anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks for your help thus far guys I really appreciate it.

If you have mapped network drives you could have a conflict one fix for mapped drives is to un mape all network drives then try the usb devise. Also if you have a VIA usb chip set there are some problems with SP2 and
VIA chip sets, devices not showing up in my computer is one of the problems.

in case you didnt figure out disk management, right-click my computer, choose manage, and go to disk manager. from there you can alter drive letters.

Try removing and reinstalling USB XP drivers for your motherboard. Better go to your motherboard site for the latest.
Also: Boot you system in safe mode (on cold boot or restart press F8 and choose safe mode), go to device manager and there you might see devices with red exclamation mark that is not seen in normal mode. Remove it in safe mode and reboot in normal mode to reinstall this driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back