Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB printer stopping boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon1117

Technical User
Feb 10, 2003
US
I just built a new machine. Now my understanding of USB 2.0 was that you could still use USB 1 devices in USB 2.0 ports, I loaded this PC with 7 USB2.0 ports. I'm running XP Pro, and installed my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 using the USB connect. Prints fine while working in the OS. My problem is I restart and the PC locks on the BIOS screen right after it lists the CPU, telling me the CPU ID number as if it had changed, and won't go any further also won't let me hit delete to enter BIOS settings. I shut powersupply down, unplug my USB printer and presto it boots up just fine. Any ideas anyone? The USB ports are 2 located on the mobo, 3 on a PCI expansion card, and 2 on the front of the case.

Are you plugging the USB into one of the ports directly located on the mobo? Or on the expansion card? (I wouldnt recommend plugging a printer into the front ports - keep that open for DV devices).

Matt

heh, I have tried the thing in all 7 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back