Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB printer sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggar

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
I have 2 computers connected to a broadband router. I am getting a new printer today that only has a USB connection. I am running WinXP Pro on one computer and Win98 on the other.

How can I share a USB printer?

I am also going to need a hub for several other USB devices on the WinXP Pro system. The do not need to be shared.

What is the best way to hook all these USB products up while sharing the printer?

Thanks

If you already have a network:
hook the printer to one machine, "Share" the printer on that machine. Install the driver on the client machines then in the Port window of the Driver set up, instead of LPT1, point the port to \\P133\hp 970. (sub your own host machine and printer of course.
You you dont have a NW, see above. GL
Expect more delay with NW printing in this fashion, you will be spooling the job first on the client machine then on the host machine. But it works.

pc.gif

Jomama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back