Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Printer sets up on LPT1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leinad

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2001
US
I am asking on behalf of a friend:

2-3 year old Gateway. I just reformatted it for him and reloaded with Windows 98SE rather than use the useless System Restoration CD supplied by Gateway. Everything is fine, except I forgot to install the printer before I gave it back to him. It is an <color #ff0000>Epson Stylus Color 660</color>.
I had him install it with the supplied Epson CD, while on the phone with him, but it is not working. The printer only has a USB port, no parallel, but the install program has no options, only runs automatically, and always sets it up on LPT1.

I deleted the printer, removed the USB stuff and refreshed. It found and installed the USB hardware and then found the printer, but could not find a driver on the CD.

I had him download the driver from EPSON and no improvement.

It keeps showing up on LPT1.

What am I forgetting?

-Daniel

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
- Jim Elliot

this sort of thing happenned to me too
go to settings>printers>select that printer (after installing everything as before)
under printer select prperties and open the ports tab
lpt will be checked
change that to usb port, apply
voila! should now work

my canon printer was same way
I have win2k but should be more or less same procedure

Update,

This was resolved months ago, and I just stumbled on this thread.

The printer has a funky, proprietary cable that has to be used. I was trying a standard USB cable. Silly me.
-Daniel

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
- Jim Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back