Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

USB Ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

livesound66

Technical User
Feb 23, 2006
GB
Hi Everybody,

During a recent thunderstorm there was a tremendous flash and bang almost together. I was unable to get to my PC which was on and when I did get there the Windows XP sign was on the screen. I had left it on. I cold booted it and got into Windows XP(Home) but appear have no USB drivers for my hardware.

Device Manager was showing no error signs at all and all USB items were shown as working, although they weren't.I deleted all root USB's and rebooted after unplugging all USB hardware from the PC. I assumed that the drivers are still on the hadrdisk and reconnected all the hardware for Windows to detect and install?

Still no luck though.

I then did a system restore and got back the sound but things like the printer still didn't work.

Any ideas what I can do, apart from reinstalling WidowsXP Windows or replacing the motherboard. A local repairer has suggested fitting new usb ports, 4+1, on a psi card. Do you think this will work??

Thanks

See if reinstalling the O/S works.
If not, then installing a USB PCI controller card would be a lot less expensive than replacing the MB.

For future reference & to protect your investment, get a power surge protector. Belkin do a great range that have a lifetime warranty & some sort of hardware insurance. There are others on the market as well.

Thanks for both of these. They are a great help.Guess I'll go for the PCI card

Yeah, probably your best bet, but get a surge protector as well.

What other USB devices do you have? Is the USB printer the only thing not working?

Burt

Lightning is seen at the speed of light; thunder is heard at the speed of sound. As the speed of sound varies (with altitude) around 750 miles an hour, the thunderclap is heard roughly one second per mile's distance after the (virtually) instantaneous lightning strike. You can count 1001, 1002, 1003, and so on, to know more or less how many miles away the lightning is.

This little science tip tells you that your lightning strike was pretty well on top of you, just the way it must have seemed.

That underlines the probability that your system indeed took a bad surge. Possibly you got off relatively easy.

By the way, it's good practice to unplug your cable from the wall if you have time during an electric storm. That's because the loss of house current may do you no damage at all. Damage will more likely be sustained at the moment the power comes back on again.

My personal choice is to have my entire system plugged in via surge protectors to one heavy cable which, if unplugged from the wall, isolates absolutely everything. Um, that is, as long as the house doesn't burn down.

Best of luck in fixing the damage.

Thanks for all your help. I have now fitted PCI/USB card and used USB hubs and all is well again. Yes, we have lift-off again. Whoopee!!!
Cheers for now, a grateful member. Oh, by the way the "surge" appears to have come down the phone line and got at the USB's on the motherboard. The modem survived!

You're welcome.
Glad that things worked out ok for you.

You can surge protect your phone line as well, if you get the right kit.
I have just got myself another Belkin SurgeMaster & this has phone line surge protection. Seems strange that the modem was not affected, but the USB was. Is it a USB modem?

Hi Kestrel1.Thanks for your help.
It's a USB and Ethernet combined modem - Voyager 205 ADSL Route - which is quite common in the UK.
I'll certainly be getting a Belkin SurgeMaster to protect the PC from the phone line as I don't want all that aggro again!!.
What about the filters for the USB line? Are they affected in any way? All is close at hand so I guess you just plug in the phone line after the filter?
Thanks.

Hi livesound66. I am in the UK myself.
Just one question, how do you have your modem/router attached to your PC. Via USB or Ethernet?
If you have ethernet on your PC & are using the USB, may I suggest that you use the ethernet. I have found that ethernet seems slightly faster.
Anyway, ADSL filters may be affected, so it is best to protect them. At present Amazon have a good deal on a surgemaster F9M832uk2M:
Only £18.50. This is the one I have just got. It has eight mains sockets (two of which swivel), telephone line protection & aerial protection.
I have looked at other places to purchase this & Amazon work out the cheapest, because you get free postage. Got mine within three days.

Thanks Kestrel1. I only have USB on the Dell, but am using Ethernet on my laptop.
Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back